Join us in Parliament Square for this national demonstration and action summit to demand and plan the end of our rigged, undemocratic voting system - co-hosted with Unlock Democracy.
Until everyone has a vote that counts, until seats match votes, and until governments represent the majority instead of a minority, the UK cannot be said to have real democracy.
Yet First Past the Post denies all of three of these things. In the recent General Election more than 68% of votes were wasted; seats in parliament did not even reflect the votes cast; and we are set to be governed on the basis of a deal between the Conservatives and DUP - who received just 43% of the vote between them. We need Proportional Representation!
Speakers will include:
- Alexandra Runswick, Director, Unlock Democracy
- Ed Straw, writer and former government consultant
- Freddy Vachha, London Regional Chairman for UKIP
- Graham Allen, former Labour MP for Nottingham
- Howard Beckett, Assistant General Secretary, Unite
- Jonathan Reynolds, Labour MP for Stalybridge and Hyde
- Jon Walsh, Chair, Electoral Reform Society
- Marianne Overton, Leader of the LGA Independent Group
- Neal Lawson, Chair, Compass
- Peter Tatchell, human rights campaigner
- Ruby Lott-Lavigna, journalist and 50:50 Parliament ambassador
- Sal Brinton, President, Liberal Democrats
- Sian Berry, London Assembly Member, Green Party
- Sophie Walker, Leader, Women's Equality Party
- Zoe Williams, columnist, journalist, and author
This gathering will be a major demonstration to demand fair votes - with high profile speakers from across the political spectrum. It will also be an action summit - bringing together people from across the UK to form a concrete plan to make 2017 the last General Election held under a broken system; to #SaveOurDemocracy.
Like all of our demonstrations, this will be a positive, family-friendly event. We want this to be the biggest rally for democracy the UK has seen since women won the vote - so please invite everyone you know!